Thursday 30 September 2010

Review of: Dead Until Dark – Charlaine Harris

Published: June 2009 – Gollancz

The story of Sookie, a cocktail waitress, with a peculiar "disability" in the form of reading minds. Reading all minds but Bill's - a vampire who does not have the best reputation.



My Rating: 2 out of 5

After True Blood was made into a TV series, I thought I would see what the books were like – I was severely disappointed. Whilst the characters are loveable and the plot is gripping, the writing style was not particularly amazing, but it was partially saved by the dark and exhilarating nature of the story. It combines humour with a serious undertone – it combines love with hatred – it combines reality with fantasy. However, at the end of the day, it addresses an issue that is often cast aside – prejudice and discrimination.


Whilst you are involved in the novel, I was left pondering and wanting more – to actually feel as if I was part of the novel, if that makes sense. In short, to me, it was just a grown up version of Twilight, with darker elements, but still simple and left more questions than were answered (I know that it is part of a series but it did not convince me enough to look at more – yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment